[Mailman-Developers] Re: Mailman vs openwall patch

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 06:28:43 -0800

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:55:06PM +0100, Jozsa Kristof wrote:
> Hello Marc,
>
> I'm running debian potato on one of my servers with the openwall patch. I've
> tried to deploy Gergely Madarasz's official 2.0final-1 debian package (which
> was originally for the latest debian: sid) and run it, but met with the
> known openwall problem.
>
> I've grabbed the (hopefully) latest version of your patch from sourceforge,
> but met immediately with some problems. Seems that I dont have either the
> module named 'paths' either the Mailman python module which is needed for
> the patch to run. Where can I get these? Is it possible to patch my binary

The  problem is  that  I wrote  the securelinux_fix.py  script  to run  from
~mailman/bin. As agreed with Barry, he put  my script in a contrib directory
to show that this was unsupported, but  in the process that broke it because
it won't run  as is unless you  copy it back in your  ~mailman/bin/ tree and
run it from there.

Barry, would you have a suggestion about this? (or anyone else?)
(Worst case, it can be  documented by putting a README.securelinux_fix.py in
the same directory. By the same token, it'd be awesome if README.LINUX could
also document the securelinux_fix alternative)

> mailman install from the deb package if I get these python modules
> separately? I'd really like to avoid compiling mailman from a tarball *if*
> it's possible.

My script only patches python scripts in ~mailman/bin, it's a simple text
edit, so no binaries involved or recompiles.

Best,
Marc