[Mailman-Developers] Debian packaging information

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 21:51:04 -0800

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:07:01 +0800 (WST)
Mark Tearle <mtearle@tearle.com> wrote:

> Does it help?  Yes, one canonical source for the packaging
> information and is more likely to track the latest version.  A
> example would be a lot of the GNOME programs that have the
> packaging files in their CVS trees.

I question this -- I've seen too many instances where a product
advances more quickly than its packing files (which are not
maintained by the authors/contributors) resulting in
problems/misunderstandings.  This is an especially small gain given
the fact that given a CVS tree which is reasonably consistent with
the cannonical packaged version, it it simple to port the package
patch forward locally (I've done this many times).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu