[Mailman-Developers] COMPLETELY Virtual mailing lists....

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:54:37 -0500

At 07:21 PM 2/20/01 -0500, Scott Brown wrote:
>Isnt that kinda wasteful of system resources?  (I'm from a mainframe
>background back in the days where 1meg of memory was a huge untapped
>resource)
>
>I mean - three copies of sendmail - each consuming 'x' bytes of main memory
>+ swapped isnt very much - but if I've got 200+ domains on a server (I
>dont - but I hope to one day ;-) then thats 200x the minimum memory
>footprint that I want to give up to a routine that *could* be instantiated
>just once.

You did mean "mailman" where you put "sendmail" up there, right?
Because sendmail certainly has all the virtual hosting built in already, no
need to have multiple daemons running.  (In fact, I'm not sure how you
would; you need some kind of master that figured out what port the "other"
sendmail was on...)

Remember that much of the system will end up in shared memory anyway.
It's not as bad as it sounds.  None of this stuff stays resident anyway (well,
not until the 2.1 qrunner...)