[Mailman-Developers] New Bounce system

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:29:21 -0500

    DM> looks interesting, but a warning: when you upgrade, all your
    DM> previous "nomails" will appear to revert to "off".  Not
    DM> exactly what I expected.  (the value is actually "UNKNOWN",
    DM> which still disables delivery...but it doesn't show up.)

[...and later...]

    DM> Actually, it was worse; the upgrade just cleared everyone's
    DM> nomail flag (set them to "ENABLED").  D'oh!..

I'm having a hard time reproducing this, so I need more information.
Exactly how did you do the upgrade?  Which version of Python are you
using?  Do you see any errors in logs/error that might be relevant?

Try using bin/dumpdb on both the (old) config.db value and the (new)
config.pck value and check attributes like `data_version', and
`delivery_status'.

Below is the process I'm using to upgrade a list, see how that
compares.  I'm going to go ahead and release alpha4 today anyway, so
I'm sure if this is a real problem we'll get lots of complaints ;}.

    DM> Barry, do you plan to change the option display in the
    DM> membership list and/or personal pages to something
    DM> multivalued?...

In the personal options page, you'll just see some prose describing
the reason your membership has been disabled.  The user shouldn't
care though, if they want to re-enable their membership it doesn't
make a difference why they were disabled.

I thought about it for the membership list admin pages, but I couldn't
think of a good u/i that wouldn't clutter up that page even more.  And
I'm not sure it's worth it.  If the admin enables, then re-disables a
member's delivery, the flag will change from <whatever> to BYADMIN.
This could potentially disrupt disable warning notifications, but I
don't think its worth cluttering up that page to deal with what ought
to be a rare occurance (and besides, I'd eventually like cron/disabled
to handle UNKNOWN, BYADMIN, and BYUSER disables).

-Barry