[Mailman-Developers] Re: External subscriber lists in 2.1

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:56:04 -0500

    JCL> In 2.1 when used with external subscriber storage (eg SQL),
    JCL> will the new equivalent of qrunner request and load the
    JCL> entire subscriber DB onto the heap prior to broadcast?

That's really up to the implementation of the MemberAdaptor interface
for SQL (but fwiw, I'm not aware of such a beast).  Mailman's
CalcrRecips module loops through all the member addresses in a list
comprehension, but all other information is requested a member at a
time.

Note that if it was too expensive for getRegularMemberKeys() to return
an in-memory list, it could (if you use Python 2.2) return an iterator
object that implemented things in a more efficient manner, e.g. by
paging through blocks.  I believe that any place where we expect a
Python sequence (list) we could probably accept an iterator.

    JCL> ObExcuse: Chap on -users asking about millions of
    JCL> subscribers.

Cool! :)

-Barry