[Mailman-Developers] ZMailman 2.1 preview

Larry McVoy lm@bitmover.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:14:48 -0800

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 07:48:56PM -0600, Stephan Richter wrote:
> Furthermore, for the Mailman 3.0 release I would like to make a case for
> using the ZODB (not the entire Zope package!) for storing our data
> structures, since we will not have to worry about file locking and data
> storage in general anymore.

I'm not sure this is on topic, but we've extended BitKeeper to support
database operations.  BitKeeper is a distributed revision control system
(really distributed, you can et a workspace, disconnect, and do 100% of
what you could do connected, it replicates the database).  We added
database records which are somewhat more flexible than you are used to,
they are each key/value pairs and what structure you what is up to you,
it can be as structured or unstructured as you want.

We've added a query layer which is largely SQL compliant, you can do

	select from open
	where priority < 2 && severity < 2 && state == open

types of things.  You can also get at the raw data directly if you want.
We use this to implement our bug database, which you can browse at
http://bitkeeper.bitkeeper.com/bugs.html to get some idea of what it
can do.

All of this will come out in BK 3.0, sometime around February.  It is
an alternative to the Zope DB.  In fact, several companies have asked
us to replace the Zope DB with our DB so they can have revision controlled
objects.  Some day we will do something like that.

If you are interested in this, let me know.
--
---