[Mailman-Developers] Re: way to minimize IO load with MTA supported VERP

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman@lenin.nu
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:57:59 -0800

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:14:35PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> [*] VERP helps with knowing exactly which address on which list is
> bouncing, but I don't think it helps much with knowing the severity of
> the bounce.

Sure, but the beauty is that there's almost no way that a broken MTA can
bounce in such a way as to not know where the message went.  Autoresponders,
on the other hand, suck rocks through straws.  So you can afford to handle a
lot more bounces, and implement an ezmlm-like probe when it gets critical,
all in the certianty that you're (a) not bouncing messages to the list
admins that they have to read and (b) if you miss any messages over a long
time you can reset your counter and let the user know what they've missed.
These are 2 really nice ezmlm features...

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.