[Mailman-Developers] MM Bouncer

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:44:05 -0800

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:44:07 -0800
Peter C Norton <spacey-mailman@lenin.nu> wrote:

> It also unloads the disk.  The wire is rarely where you need to
> save time.  I've seen a single mailhost with over a million
> messages queued empty out overnight over a t1.  The biggest delays
> had nothing to do with mail traffic over the wire.

ObStats: Running Postfix on a mostly unloaded and minimally tuned
box with a T3 tier II connection I've repeatedly seen sustained mail
delivery rates of 1,500 messages per minute (fairly flat MX
distribution; AOL/MSN/Hotman together are less than 3% of the base).
I've also seen occasional peaks over 3,200 messages per minute, but
I've never sustained that sort of transfer rate (not enough mail
traffic).

Not great, not too shabby.

Now, would you mind NOT setting a personal Mail-FollowUp-To?

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?