[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Bounce Options

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 11:46:02 -0800

On 11/30/01 10:08 PM, "Dale Newfield" <Dale@Newfield.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>> - For simplicity, let's treat non-fatal bounces (some temporary
>>   outage) the same as fatal bounces (user goes away)
>
> Your scheme makes sense

What you might consider is this:

If the bounce is RFC compliant, it's fairly simple to determine "hard" and
"soft" bounces, and since they are following the standards, it's not a huge
amount of work. Treat a "soft" bounce as half a bounce. That gives the soft
bounce twice as long to actually come into effect.

If the bounce is one of the many non-RFC compliant mail systems, treat
everything as hard bounces. You don't spend the work trying to read their
non-compliant tea leaves, and they have some quiet encouragement to get
their act together and become RFC compliant.

> I like the idea that subscribers can wind up "on
> probation" (assuming the list admin configures the list that way).  I
> understand that this simplifying assumption makes the design much easier
> to think through.

It'd be really nice if bounce-nomail and user-nomail are separate modes, so
we can tell the difference. Beyond that, what would be optimum for me is if
bounces went to nomail mode, and then if they're still nomail 30 days later,
deleted from the system. That gives a user a chance to "come back" without
losing their subscription state, but not hang around forever....

At some point, it'd be nice to be able to validate those other nomail
addresses, similar to the monthly password reminder (or part of it).
Something that says "you have this account sent to this mode. If you want
this, click 'here'. If you don't, do nothing and we'll delete it. Where
'click here' takes you to a link that sets the "I'm okay" counter on that
nomail status for another 90 days or something...