[Mailman-Developers] Preventing spam to list admins.

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:29:24 -0400

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 11:01:06PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     >> Me too.  I remember we had a thread about this a while back.
>     >> Doing so would require regeneration of your alias database,
>     >> which I seem to recall was considered to disruptive to
>     >> backwards compatibility to adopt for MM2.1.  Maybe we should
>     >> reconsider (or perhaps I remember the decision incorrectly).
>
>     JCL> It would be disruptive.  I was hesitant to recommend for 2.1
>     JCL> as at the time it was looked at as an incremental release.
>     JCL> This is no longer true.  2.1 at this point almost (perhaps
>     JCL> not quite) warrants a pull number increment.  Certainly 2.1
>     JCL> already has a list of backward incompatabilities
>     JCL> (qrunner/cronjobs, mimelib, etc).  I don't see much problem
>     JCL> splitting it out into its own address concurrently with 2.1,
>     JCL> and frankly, I'd rather get the pain over sooner than later.
>
> You've been reading my mind, you know.  I've been hesitant to suggest
> this, but for quite some time I've thought that the next release ought
> to be 3.0 intead of 2.1.  I've stopped short of that because 1) what I
> promised would be in a 2.1 release; 2) I've been talking about "MM2.1"
> for so long now; 3) all the things I've been pushing off to MM3.0.
>
> I really really really want to get the next release out as soon as
> possible.  I don't want a decision to call this thing MM3.0 to mean a
> delay in the release schedule.  But truth-in-advertising makes me
> think it really should be called 3.0.  OTOH, will that deter too many
> people from upgrading?  Sigh, I don't know.  Opinions?

Someone who *cares*.  Wow.  I'm afraid I agree with JC; if there are
that many fundamental changes, perhaps a major rev is indeed called
for.  Don't let the lack of a 2.1 deter you from that... but if you're
going to have to slip too much, I concur, do 2.1 and put off the 3.0
stuff till 3.0.  (I forget: is the announcment list stuff in (the
current) 2.1?)

Cheers,
-- jra

   "So easy to use, no wonder the Internet is going to hell!"
     -- me