[Mailman-Developers] List-CC?

Ben Burnett benwa@ocentrix.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:48:03 -0700

At 02:33 PM 8/24/2001 -0400, Dale Newfield wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Ben Burnett wrote:
> > Maybe I'm missing something but this sounds like a setup for a spam
> > relay.
>
>No more so than any mailing list--you can still have the same posting
>restrictions.  I'd use it so people can get a taste of what subscribing to
>a given list is like w/o actually doing so.

I guess I was missing something.  For a moderated list this could be a neat
feature.  I also think that some people might receive the message and have
no clue why they were included.  They might think that they were subscribed
by someone else, and get irate.  Of course the list admins would then be
subject to their wrath: "Why are you running a list that lets other people
subscribe you without confirmation?  I tried to unsubscribe, but it told me
that I wasn't subscribed. Whats up with that!!"  I think this could be
cleared up with a "list sample" header/footer that was pre/appended to the
message.  Something like...

----
Greetings <recipientaddress>,

This is a sample from the <listname> email list.  Your friend
<friendsaddress> who is subscribed to this list though you might be
interested in seeing what goes on here.  If you like what you see and would
like to join the list just reply to this message with subscribe in the
subject and you're all set.
----

Of course this seems like a little more work than just sending your message
to the list and your friend, or if you really want them to get the entire
list message, just wait for your copy from the list and forward it.

- Ben