[Mailman-Developers] Patching qrunner to never send duplicates w/ same Message-ID

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:07:10 -0400

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:48:12AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >     JRA> You *tell* mutt which To: addresses are lists, and then you
> >     JRA> can use the 'L' key to reply to the list, or the traditional
> >     JRA> 'r' key to reply only to the sender.
> >
> > Yes, but what happens when a non-member posts to a list?  They won't
> > see your response.
>
> Correct, but
> 1) That's too bad :-)

Concur.  :-)

> 2) Many lists don't let non subscribers post anymore. That's actually slowly
>    becoming the norm
> 3) If you can post to a list you're not a member of, you are expected to add
>    a line at the top asking to be Cced because you don't receive the list.

Which will likely be ignored, if not scoffed at; see 1).  ;-)

> While we  are on this topic,  I would really love  for a way for  mailman to
> optionally parse  the Cc and To  lines and not  send a post to  a subscribed
> address if that address was already in the headers.

Nope; not unless it's configurable.  That's actually what we were just
talking about, and -- at least personally -- *I* want to *know* that
the message was visible to the rest of the list, whether I sent it, or
whether it was carboned to me (your suggestion would break *both* of
those).

> The idea is that  I'm stuck with a list that has  the evil reply-to munging,
> and the subscribers refuse to have the reply-to munging removed because they
> can't bear the fact  of receiving two copies of posts when  they are Cced in
> an answer (no, they can't use procmail to weed duplicate msg-ids)
> As evil as it is, reply-to munging  does kind of aleviate that problem (i.e.
> reply to all usually only goes to To: Cc: and Reply-To:, not to From:)

You know it's evil, so I don't have to point you to the Rosenthal
Memorandum.

> I'm not sure how hard it would be for mailman to do that.

If they insist on continued munging, allow them to Feel Their Own Pain.

They're entitled.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "So easy to use, no wonder the Internet is going to hell!"
     -- me