[Mailman-Developers] mailman misparses non RFC 822 compliant Email addresses

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

> > I'm coming to this late, but: we all agree that
> >
> > David E.Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>
> >
> > is not a legal RFC822 address, right?
>
> I can't read this into the RFC document.

OK, I retract my claim.  I was misled by

     address     =  mailbox                      ; one addressee
                 /  group                        ; named list

     mailbox     =  addr-spec                    ; simple address
                 /  phrase route-addr            ; name & addr-spec

     route-addr  =  "<" [route] addr-spec ">"

     phrase      =  1*word                       ; Sequence of words

     word        =  atom / quoted-string

    atom        =  1*<any CHAR except specials, SPACE and CTLs>

which seems to lead to "phrase can't include spaces without being
quoted".

But I missed this disclaimer in 3.4.4:

        The one exception to this rule  is  that  a  single  SPACE  is
        assumed  to  exist  between  contiguous words in a phrase,

Sigh.  This, of course, makes me wonder why phrase can't include that
in its definition, rather than saying "1*word", but there you have it.