[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.0 usage notes...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:42:43 -0400

    cvr> I'd really recommend FIFO, Barry. I kinow when my queue
    cvr> starts shuffling, it drives my users crazy (because they
    cvr> write to ask why stuff's coming out of sequence). The
    cvr> end-users really seem to expect FIFO, or at least mostly
    cvr> FIFO. It becomes a lot more important with digest users --
    cvr> they freak when stuff comes in the digest randomized.

Bling!  Of course.  Excellent point.

    cvr> You can't assume this to be true for third level
    cvr> domains. Overseas, it's NOT true -- because in many cases,
    cvr> the third level of the domain is the equivalent to the second
    cvr> level in .com. So if you assume that fred@anglican.co.uk is
    cvr> the same as fred@catholic.co.uk, you just messed up badly,
    cvr> because anglican and catholic are different companies. You
    cvr> run into a rathole here REAL fast, because the assumptions
    cvr> that are true for .com, .edu, and .net aren't true for the
    cvr> country domains, where in many cases, it all bumps out one
    cvr> sub-level (foo.com.br, boo.edu.pl, etc)

Again, good point.  Actually SMART_ADDRESS_MATCH would only
equivalence fred@catholic.co.uk with fred@co.uk, but that's not right
either.  I believe all this stuff was added way long ago to help out
misconfigured mailers, so maybe that's not as important these days.

-Barry