[Mailman-Developers] Remote scripting with XML-RPC

Eric Kidd eric.kidd@pobox.com
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:38:52 -0400

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 12:39:22AM +0200, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> Sounds great to me... This would give some nice opportunities like easy
> integration into dynamic websites, as long as they are written in a language
> that supports xmlrpc...

Hmmm.  You should be totally covered on the Unix side of things, and you
should be pretty well off under Windows.  I'm currently getting e-mails
about XML-RPC for Flash, so I'm guessing that most of the obvious
languages have been covered.

PHP has a good client, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

> Do you think this would require major changes in the mailman code? I can
> imagine the question will rise if it is something which could be added now
> or in a future version of mailman.

Probably not, although I'm still getting up to speed on the mailman
internals.  I think I'm going to write an extra CGI script, and have it
make calls into the rest of Mailman as needed.

Basically, if an API exists in Mailman, it's a cinch to export the same
functionality.  But if no API exists for performing a given task, it might
get a bit hard.

Cheers,
Eric