[Mailman-Developers] Re: problem with latest archiver code.

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:59:45 -0600

>What platform are you running on?  For me on Linux RedHat 6.1, when I
>try to see past the end of a non-existant or zero length file, I get
>an EINVAL (errcode 22), which Mailbox.AppendMessage() should catch and
>ignore.  If your error numbers are the same as mine, you're getting an
>EOVERFLOW, but why?  What does "Value too large for defined data type"
>mean?

Standard says... (in re: lseek):  EOVERFLOW: The resulting file
offset would be a value which cannot be represented correctly
in an object of type off_t.  The error message seems a reasonable
representation of that (off_t is required to be a signed integral
type).  Like Chuq says, this species (UNIX and relatives) is
unfortunately prone to not quite agreeing with each other in
boundary conditions, standards or no... and by the way, you can't
count on the error /numbers/ being the same across systems, that's
not part of UNIX standards.

Mats