[Mailman-Developers] weird... no dev mail anymore

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:59:08 +0200

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 11:54:41AM +0200, Ricardo Kustner wrote:

> This could be related to the fact that my ASDL connection has been having a
> bit of trouble lately (right, Thomas? ;-) )

Argh, please ! ADSL has been one of my private nightmares in the last three
months. There are so many things screwed with the way KPN set it up, and
everyone at XS4ALL agrees -- but we can't drop the service, and we can't
stop new applicants either, for a number of reasons (though I hear we got
damned close to dropping the service again, last week!) I'm on vacation now,
and I'm not worrying about ADSL anymore... so sssht ;-) If my boss hadn't
agreed with every bit of my ADSL complaints, and given me good reasons to
continue this way, I would probably have quit my job over it ;P

> as it runs the secondary DNS for rixhq.nu... though it's a bit weird that
> this doesn't happen with mailman-users, which is coming from the same
> python.org server....

DNS, MX and unreliable connections don't mix very well. I can't say much
about your primary MX, but your secondary sure has an unreliable connection
:-) And you don't have a backup MX for rixhq.nu, which can really confuse
Sendmail (and probably most SMTP servers that queue in the same way.) I can
advise you to install a backup MX -- if you don't know any, use the XS4ALL
ones:

rixhq.nu.	IN	MX	100 mx1.xs4all.nl.
		IN	MX	100 mx2.xs4all.nl.
		IN	MX	100 mx3.xs4all.nl.
		IN	MX	100 mx4.xs4all.nl.

(Priority doesn't have to be 100, but they do all have to be the same.) If
you want, we can even make it a form of batched-smtp, so that the queue gets
resent whenever you re-login over your ADSL connection. (doesn't mean it
gets resent after each outage, but at least each time you reconnect.)

For a set of protocols that were designed when unreliable networks were
common, TCP/IP and SMTP sure screw up a lot ;-)
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>