[Mailman-Developers] NULL characters in e-mail.

Andrew McNamara andrewm@connect.com.au
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:09:44 +1100

>But I could make the same argument about MLMs (of which
>there are more than one) or MUAs (same).  The question of "whose
>responsibility is it" is a useful one.
>
>For instance, if indeed it was the MTA's violation, maybe it's only
>this one MTA, or one revision of the MTA, that had the bug.  So fixing
>MLMs would be the wrong thing to do.
>
>Maybe you know something more about the set of MTAs involved than
>I do, since you say "the MTAs cleaerly don't do anything".

Speaking for the Postfix MTA, it attempts to be as transparent as
possible. NULL's will be passed through in the body (although headers
are a different matter). I would suggest this is not going to change.

If we were just talking about individual postings, I would say "fair
enough - if the sender includes crap, let it through", but digests are
a different matter, as the bogosity will effect other people's postings
(for similar reasons, list admins often want to remove attachments when
building a digest).

 ---
Andrew McNamara (System Architect)

connect.com.au Pty Ltd
Lvl 3, 213 Miller St, North Sydney, NSW 2060, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9409 2117, Fax: +61 2 9409 2111