[Mailman-Developers] some more futures on mailman...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:05:57 -0700

Just want to toss these into the archives for future consideration...

I'm currently trying (desperately) to get a system into production
that involves mailman. Or more correctly, a site with multiple
virtual hosts.

My medium-term plan is to run mailing lists across three domains
(www.plaidworks.com, www.hockeyfanz.com, www.chuqui.com). And using
mailman, I'm finding it's simply impossible to create a consistent
look/feel on a single domain, because it doesn't (yet) easily let me
do things like footers/headers (and yes, I know there's a patch
pending for that) -- but when we start talking about running a single
instance of mailman across multiple virtual hosts, this all dies a
horrible death.

The only real way t do this now is to run an instance of mailman for
each virtual host. That's really, really gnarly from a maintenance
standpoit, nt to mention just rife with the ability to get it wrong
on deadline -- and even then, mailman isn't really cooperative about
living within a site's look/feel yet..

So it's beginning to look like we need to find a way present a
look/feel based on domain name, defining sets of headers/footers on a
per domain basis, but there are also other pages that generally need
tweaking (most especially, every domain probably needs to tweak
/mailman/listinfo to some degree, even if it's changing the
introductory text....)

I don't have time to figure out how to fix this yet, but I wanted to
throw it into the mix until I do. Right now, I'm dealing with it the
way you normally do on deadline -- by punting and going production
without an integrated look/feel (don't feel bad, I have the same
problem with my discussion forums, albeit those don't cross domains
so the solutions are in theory easier).

This is all clearly post 2.0 stuff, but it needs to go On The List....

Hmm. If we take the pending patch for global headers/footers, add a
tweak so we can define them by domain (header-hockeyfanz.com-html, et
al), we might be able to fake this. But we still need to add another
tweak to allow us to store that listinfo intro paragraph into a file,
and do the same vhosting hack to it, too.

Maybe it *can* be done, or at least hide enough of it. But I'll look
at this further after I go live. Running out of time...

chuq (here I go again...)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"