[Mailman-Developers] Re: patches

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:57:41 -0700

At 11:49 PM -0500 9/7/00, David Champion wrote:

>I'll be very interested in anything you come up with.

Basically, I plan on splitting content out from mailman completely on
a functional basis, and derive it through an API. The API is
basically defined as "GetThing(thing, list, language)", which returns
a hunk 'o text.

Now, "thing" is any hunk of text, for instance, "unsubscribe_message"
or "listinfo_page". A certain set of these would have to be defined
as standard entry points, and can include other things. embedded
things are expanded within GetThing, so the mailman program doesn't
even need to think about it.

Now, behind the scenes, it can get funky, since many of these things
are configurable on a list-specific or global basis, some are
meta-things based on system config or state, etc. But conceptually, I
want to pull out all of the messaging content from the rest of
mailman, because it makes it (a) infinitely easier to administer,
change and user, (b) cuts the complexity of the code completely, (c)
makes stuffing it in a database for management trivial (and database
independent, in theory), and (d) you basically get multi-language
support for free (well, in theory) because you can define parallel
sets of content in each language, and let the end-user define which
their preferred language is.

It needs some fleshing out, but that's the 10,000 foot level. it'd
need an administrative interface in the API, and databasing in the
back-end, and administrative controls such that the site admin can
lock down some values so that a list-administrator can't change them,
something not currently possible with Mailman.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"