[Mailman-Developers] User feedback on www.lists.apple.com (round one)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:55:54 -0800

it's monday, so users are starting to weigh in on the ugpraded
server. For the most part, it's pretty positive.

with one exception. they hate the text digest format. And in fact,
one user pointed out (correctly, it seems) that it's not conformant
with the digest RFC:

	<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1153.txt>

Looks like mailman as it's set up doesn't use a conformant separator,
and doesn't order header lines properly to the RFC.

Also, I've had a number of requests to bump the volume number. That
one is pretty badly hidden (it seems to be in Mailman/MailList.py).
That really needs to be made configurable through Defaults.PY, as
should (IMHO) the  separator (which is hidden in  Handers/ToDigest.py
as MIME_NONSEPARATOR.

it'd be Really Nice, also, if there were some programmatic way to
bump the volume, so it could be stuffed into cron and run at 0:00
1/1/*. And, to be honest, volume numbers need to (eventually) be
per-list...

These are primarily cosmetic issues, but I really think most of them
need to be looked at before 2.0 ships. Per-list volumes is beyond the
scope of this release, but the rest need to be looked at, especally
since the Mailman digest format breaks everyone's
digest-auto-processors (and yes, MIME digests are the real answer,
but not everyone is ready for them yet, and there's no reason to
arbitrarily break things...0

Be just, and fear not.