[Mailman-Developers] b6, postfix/qrunner super disaster

Christopher Kolar ckolar@admin.aurora.edu
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:51:11 -0500

Hi all.  I know that one man's disaster is another man's chuckle at an
incompetent amateur system administrator, but here goes.

I am running 2b6 under Mandrake 7.1 using postfix as an MTA.  Last Thursday
I posted a note to a small mail list but the note never showed up.  I
posted to the users list on that matter.  First off I addressed the locking
problem and deleted the locks/ files.  That did not solve the problem, so I
then looked at the smtp log and saw that Mm was trying to send the message,
but was getting a return of:
         host not found
when trying to send the 20 copies of the message.  I messed around with it,
and saw qrunner trying to resend the message every minute, and figured that
it must be a temporary DNS problem with my ISP and left it alone.  During
this process I monitored both the normal qrunner cron operations and also
tried to manually push the queue by evoking the qrunner command line that
is found in the cron file.

Then I left for four days in San Francisco.

When I got back I discovered that I had 20 new sworn enemies.  Sunday
morning, as if by magic, the mail actually got delivered, 1400 copies of
it.  Now I realize that I may have done something really stupid along the
way, but I also think that it may be worthwhile to figure out what
happened.  I am wondering if qrunner got the error message and kept the
item in qfiles, but postfix also deferred delivery of the message and kept
it in the MTA mqueue -- growing by one copy a minute until the server was
able to successfully find the recipients' hosts.

If anyone would like to do some forensics on this I would be happy to share
log file data, both from Mailman and the regular mail log.  Thanks in
advance for thinking about this problem and what the cause of it may have been.

--chris

--
  Christopher G. Kolar