[Mailman-Developers] Re: Security

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:57:23 -0700

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:44:45 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> I sincerely doubt Barry would see it, because I'd be willing to
> bet dinner it's a bad block on the disk, and it's lodged in one of
> the files (probably the .db file) attached to that list.

This was one of my early thoughts as well, but the fact that the
behaviour continues after I've the partitions on the system and
reformatted them with new filesystems (ReiserFS as versus Ext2FS)
rather suggests this isn't it.

> i'd do a surface test of that disk and see if it finds
> problems. I'd give it 90% chance it will. This just screams "bad
> block!" at me.

<nod> That, and the frequent crash rate was one of the things that
prompted me to put ReiserFS on.  Before I'd figured that quite a bit
had been messed up by the dieing drive I'd been seeing signs that
several filesystems were unhealthy at the filesystem level.  So I
did surface checks, restored all the files, got crashes, did new
surface checks and went to a new filesystem, rolled everything back
and go crashes...

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu