[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] "download the full raw archive"

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:21:30 -0700

>Yup, but so does the old downloadable archive link, so I don't think
>this change /increases/ the spam harvesting potential.
>
>     MC> Even if I have the obscure_addresses Option set to YES, the
>     MC> e-mail addresses of public archives can be still harvested by
>     MC> various robots out there.
>
>I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm putting all of my archives, search engine, etc, behind a security
realm. They'll have to know where to find the acct/password, and type
it in.

That shuts out all of the automated harvesters. If someone wants to
manually come in try to harvest, you need to depend on being able to
recognize it happening and deal with it on a case by case basis, but
then, if you have an individual harvesting, they can always quietly
subscribe to the lists and harvest the e-mail stream you deliver to
them, -- and you'll never know it's happening.

so I don't worry about the manual harvester. First, it rarely
happens. Second, if they have a clue you'll never catch them. Third,
few have a clue and they're easy to find. And fourth, that kind of
person is very rare. I'm worried about (a) keeping email addresses
out of the global search engines where most harvesting happens, and
(b) closing out the automated spider harvesters that do 99% of the
rest of the harvesting.

and if you think about it, you can't find, much less stop, a
harvester that subscribes to lists and sucks e-mail off the list
server, so that's the most secure you can make a mail list. It makes
no sense to try to make your archives MORE secure than you can make
the list itself. So I focus on dealing wtih indiviual harvesters by
alarms on suspicious activity in the archives, and let passwords lock
out the bots, and that, to me, is about as good as you can expect,
because it's as secure as your list itself is.

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.