[Mailman-Developers] Mailman with sendmail = performance bottleneck

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:53:16 -0800

At 6:04 PM -0600 11/21/00, Bob Tanner wrote:
>I have to say I am very disappointed at mailman's performance with sendmail.

it works pretty well for me. I've got it running a rather large setup
(50ish lists, 40,000+ subscribers, 300-400 messages posted a day)
without problem.

You need to go into your system, and set

SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10

in your mm_cfg.py. That'll cause mailman to split mail delivery into
batches of ten, and parallelize the hell out of your list delivery.
The big problem you're seeing isn't qrunner, but that each message is
sent out as a single batch to sendmail, so sendmail can't
parallelize. that means delivery is as slow as the slowest machines
in the queue ahead of you. Very, very bad. But with splits into
smaller batches, sendamil can do smart queue management again.

>Will mailman support multiple "qfiles" directories in the future?

yes. That'll be improved as well down the road, but that's not really
your problem here, unless you're trying to run on underpowered
hardware.

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy