[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:29:20 -0800

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:04:31 -0500
Bill Bumgarner <bbum@codefab.com> wrote:

> The key with WebDAV is that use therein means that you can point
> WebDAV enabled Mailman at Zope, IBM's websphere, Apache+mod_dav,
> or any of the other WebDAV enabled HTTP servers out there and it
> should "just work" (assuming they did the implementation right).
> There is nothing proprietary about the solution and choosing it as
> a foundation for archival/management of messages/attachments opens
> doors (instead of closing doors).

For me WebDAV raises concerns centering around authentication and
access security.  That said, I fail to see either the use or value
in having what is essentially (if I understand it correctly) a
posting tool (ability to post content to a site) *UNLESS* the
archiver is running on a different machine than Mailman (in which
case a networked filesystem would seem a safer/lighter approach).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/