[Mailman-Developers] Future of pipermail?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:39:36 -0500

    CVR> true. Or maybe the answer is some kind of meta-setup beast
    CVR> like some folks use for Apache? Or does that just add
    CVR> complexity without solving anything?

There's something in Python called `distutils' which is a way to
distribute and build extensions to Python.  I don't think distutils
currently works well for applications, but that might be a direction
to explore.

Distutils will likely be the underlying technology for a Pythonic CPAN
like thing that everyone's been pining for but few have had the time
to pursue.

One nice thing about distutils is that it makes the building of
extension modules completely trivial.  I have a couple of nice
(optional) performance improvements written in C for Mailman 2.1 which
are easily built and installed with a distutils `setup.py' script.

-Barry