[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Ken Kyler ken@kyler.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:16:59 -0500

> There's HUGE synergy potential here. We certainly shouldn't avoid
> those things, but the more we start tying into (and/or depending on)
> other technologies, the more we lock users into a single technology
> suite, the more we start depending on specific technology suites the
> more we lock uers into our view of how things work, and the less
> flexibility we give them in building their sites. And, to some
> degree, the less ability we have to adapt to future changes in the
> net universe ourselves.

I'd like to suggest that instead of integrating other technologies, that
making Mailman open to them would be better.  Such as offering the
alternative to use Webdav, or making APIs for PHP, Perl, etc to interact
with it.

This is a classic COTS integration issue.  If you depend too heavily on a
product, it is possible for a future release of that product to break yours
and the other guys don't care because you're a small fry in the pond.  Been
there myself and ended up gutting a product I was working on.

My apologies for butting in - been lurking a long time and this is an
interesting thread.

Ken Kyler