[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Bill Bumgarner bbum@codefab.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:51:24 -0500

Chuq, et. al.,

See www.webdav.org for more information.

WebDAV is a standard that extends, but does not modify, HTTP to allow for
several additional operations against a web server.  There are two levels to
the specification.  Class 0 will be described before-- it is complete and
production quality.  Class One is in the final stages of discussion and, as
such, is not anywhere near having a reference implementation (but I will
discuss briefly because it is very cool):

	- supports PUT of resources [files] onto the server (i.e. upload a
file to server)

	- creation of collections (mkdir)

	- renaming/moving/deleting/copying of resources or collections

	- assigning properties to resources or collections.  A set of
properties is basically a chunk of XML associated with the collection or
resource.   For the MailMan WebDAV extensions, I use properties to store the
mime-type and any extended headers associated with the attachment in question.

	- searching the properties database for particular values/attributes

	- locking;  locking is limited to write locks because read locks would
have required modification of the HTTP spec.   Can have either shared or
exclusive write locks.   However, it is trivial to throw together a cgi-bin/
that allows read access to a resource if and only if the client sends a long
the appropriate shared write lock token.  This is used in the Mailman WebDAV
extensions to support lmited access to the archive of messages.

	- locks can have a timeout.    As such, it is trivial to generate an
URL that allows access to a particular piece of the archive for, say, only the
next 30 minutes.

---

Most importantly, WebDAV is truly a standard and a very widely accepted
standard, at that.

	- Apple ships a WebDAV client with Mac OS X.   The builds of Apache
with Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server both include WebDAV modules that are disabled
by default.

	- Microsoft has full blown WebDAV support in Office and Windows 2000.
 In Office, you can open a document served by a WebDAV server and subsequently
hit ctrl-s to save (or save as) as if the document were on a local fileserver.

	- IBM's WebSphere fully supports WebDAV

	- Zope fully supports WebDAV

	- GoLive CyberStudio and other HTML authoring packages either ship
with WebDAV support or have announced that they will soon.

So, WebDAV is, by no means, an apache only solution!   Because it is a simple
extension to HTTP-- and class 0 is relatively trivial in nature-- WebDAV
capabilities can be provided via cgi-bin/ without a problem.

---

The new class of DAV functionality is aimed at full support for version
control.  This includes basic revisioning as well as tags, maps, workareas,
multiple users, etc... This revision to the spec is in the final stages of
discussion and Greg Stein-- author of mod_dav-- is actively working with the
group to create an implementation of the spec.

---

In terms of Mailman, there is no real reason why creating the archive should
be something that isn't completely abstracted within Mailman.   Archival is
basically three tasks:

	- storing data

	- storing meta-infrormation

	- creating some kind of index/view

Decoding of attachments and rewriting the messages is mostly just an extension
of the above concepts.

As such, the Mailman archival interface could be an abstract interface of
which we provide two concrete implementations;   direct-to-filesystem and
WebDAV.   The actual process of creating an index/view isn't really a Mailman
problem-- obivously, it is useful to ship with an out-of-the-box solution.

b.bum