[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Reverting question

John W Baxter jwblist@olympus.net
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:33:16 -0800

At 1:07 -0500 11/14/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>I'm surprised.  I would think that munging reply-to is only useful for
>lists of people who don't know how to drive their MUAs.  Is the
>problem just that they got used to one way of doing things, and now
>there's a different way?  That I can sympathize with.  Is it that
>suddenly, some people are getting two copies of messages because
>people don't know how to trim their headers?  Yeah, that sucks.

I'm not on such a list (we're expecting to switch to Mailman when it
settles down).  But I would be perturbed if on a single list sometimes the
Reply button sets up a reply to the list and sometimes it sets up a private
reply.  [I can--and do--deal with both kinds of list, and both are a
nuisance some of the time.]

The idea that Reply's result on a single list depends on who* sent the
message seems like a faulty solution to the unsolvable problem that neither
reply-goes-to-the-list nor reply-goes-to-the-sender is right.  [Right would
take mindreading:  reply goes where I expect *this* reply to go.]

*Or, even worse, where a given person was were when the message was sent.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA