[Mailman-Developers] sort by thread for digest mode in mailman?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 11:50:54 -0700

>  > Ideally digests should never be read, but should be received and
>>  then burst back into their original discrete messages.  Your MUA can
>
>I've seen this said a few times now, and I finally solidified in my head
>what irked me about it.
>
>This simply isn't how probably 99% of the list subscribers regard digests
>on lists I (and presumably many other Mailman admins) manage.

No, but that's because mail client support for MIME-Digests is just
entering into common availability.

Mailman needs to look forward, not backward. now that MIME-Digests
are well understood and support for them is entering the mainstream,
Mailman shouldn't worry too much about adding features that simulate
features that will be taken care of by the emerging standards.

>Rather, I'm saying that their usefulness in
>their current incarnation is going to be somewhat limited if
>digest-related features are always adopted/dismissed based on a usage
>scenario that has got to be a minority.

Except I don't think that's what's happening. Instead, look out a
year from now and see where email technology is going to be and
implement for that, instead of looking a year back and assuming
that's how it'll always be.

there's a huge technological shift going on in email right now. this
is just one piece of that. And it's not safe to assume that the way
things have been is the way it is, much less how it ought to be.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"