[Mailman-Developers] problem with view other subscriptions..

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 11:35:40 +0200

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 07:55:17PM -0400, Matt Davis wrote:

> Using current cvs code (as of May 12 2000 19:50 EST)  I get the following
> error when I hit the 'view other subscriptions' option with the correct
> password.

> Sometimes it would take a while (maybe a minute or 2) for it to even
> display this.  And i know the system is not loaded down.

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/mailman/scripts/driver", line 89, in run_main
>     main()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/handle_opts.py", line 80, in main
>     mlist.Save()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 864, in Save
>     self.__lock.refresh()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 204, in refresh
>     raise NotLockedError
> NotLockedError:

Apparently something goes wrong with the refresh(), or right before the
refresh (someone stole the lock, for some reason.) Can you look at the
contents of the logs/locks file at the time of the problem ? It might give
some clue as to who or what stole or broke the lock. It might also be a
clock syncronization problem; do you run mailman on more than one machine ?
(say, split mail and web machine ?) Does the machine it runs on, have a
steady clock or do you run 'ntpdate' every 10 minutes because the clock is
heavily skewed ? (This happens on some of our early Pentium-II's, can be as
much as a few minutes (!!) per hour. An hourly ntpdate fixes the symptoms,
but I imagine it can screw Mailman bigtime :P)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>