[Mailman-Developers] cookies

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Wed, 10 May 2000 01:08:22 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:12:49PM +0200, Harald Meland wrote:
> > > Please write a patch which puts the string "Cookie could not be set" on the
> > > web page so that I can see that pressing submit will not work :-)
> > i think thats a good point... it would safe some user questions if
> > MM tells exactly why the authorisation failed.
> While I agree that such a warning would be nice, I don't think it's
> possible to do such things with cookies.
it's possible to set a test cookie to see if cookies are enabled...(and
writing a "your browser doesn't allow / can't set cookies" warning if it fails)...
if the test is OK but the authorisation failed, an authorization error could
be printed. or am i missing the point? :)

> > I'm not sure if this subject has been touched already, but what
> > allowing admins to choose between cookies and
> > Basic-Authorization... it should be possible to use Basic-auth,
> > right?
> What is Basic-Authorization?  If it doesn't involve a HTTP POST of the
> admin login page, I believe it will not work (out of the box, anyway).
Basic-auth is a cgi process sending an 401 auth required http header
and thus asking the browser to prompt for a username and password...
I'm not 100% sure if it's possible with a cgi script though (I know it's
possible in PHP but I've never tried it in cgi...)

Ricardo.