[Mailman-Developers] suggestion for heldmsg placement

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Wed, 10 May 2000 00:48:26 +0200

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 08:25:07PM +0200, Harald Meland wrote:
> > I think it could be better to place the heldmsg-* files
> > that are created for messages held for approval in
> > a directory like ~mailman/listname/lists/mailinglist/pending
> > instead of all messages for all lists in ~mailman/data...
> > does anybody agree with me? :)
> I disagree -- the way it's done now, you can easily have
> $(prefix)/data/ (and e.g. archives/) on a big/slow disk, while
> $(prefix)/lists/ (and e.g. locks/) can live happily on a
> smaller/quicker disk.
> If you're concerned with the number of files in a single directory, I
> guess some scheme for splitting the data/ directory could be
> implemented -- but I'm not really sure that's needed.
> So, what is you motivation for asking for this change?

for me personally it's not a big problem right now since I don't run
that many different lists on one server, but I can imagine that with a site
hosting many mailman lists it could be a lot of files from different lists
in the same directory... most of all it feels more 'structured' to me to
have them separated and keep all data of every list in it's own place...
but it's not really a big issue... i just wanted to point it out and see
what others have to think about it...

Ricardo.