[Mailman-Developers] Extraordinary locking mechanisms...

Dan A. Dickey ddickey@wamnet.com
Tue, 09 May 2000 10:43:29 -0500

Well, I figure its finally time for me to ask
a stupid question.

Why do people use filesystems for locking?
Why not use IPC semaphores instead?

It seems that people are going through extraordinary
trouble and grief to get the filesystem locking correct.
Like I said - it may be a stupid question, and I'm
just not getting something.  What is that something?

One of the more reasonable and understandable benefits
of using filesystem locking is when the locks are placed
in a shared filesystem - a filesystem that is used by
multiple machines running Mailman.  Is this a common
occurrence?
	-Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey