[Mailman-Developers] subscription approval

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:36:02 +0100

Hi,

Today I was subscribing to a list on securityportal.com, which is
running LISTSERV... and then I noticed they have a nice way of
approving your subscription: you can visit and URL which contains
a unique hash that authorizes your request. actually I've been
using the same technique for a chatroom signup procedure on our website
and it's fairly easy to make... (since i was able to make it ;) )
the big plus of this is that if most of your list subscribers aren't
too technical, it's much easier for them to subscribe... anybody can click
on the link which their microsoft or AOL browser conviently convert to a
hyperlink... (too often I see mails send to the admin with texts like "hi..
my auth code is 923482.. please subscribe me")
this could also make unsubscribing very easy... just add a link at the
bottom of the mail... and once visited the user gets the choice to
unsubscribe (with or without supplying a password?)

anyway, i know this wont make it to 2.0, but I hope this could be a nice
feature for the next version...

Ricardo.