[Mailman-Developers] Sender: header in 2.0beta1

Gergely Madarasz gorgo@caesar.elte.hu
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:46:13 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us wrote:

>     GM> Actually I think that a wrong sender header is more acceptable
>     GM> than the increased possibility of mails getting lost... ;) The
>     GM> first problem can be easily noticed and fixed, while the
>     GM> second is not that easy to discover...
>
> True.  Such lossage should at least get logged in logs/error, and I
> haven't in practice seen any problems on Python.Org, but you are right
> (as others have also pointed out).  Some fallback mechanism should be
> implemented so that mail doesn't get lost when using SMTPDirect.

I'm now working on modifying smtplib.py and SMTPDirect to have the
possibility to work with a pipe to sendmail -bs, not only a socket. This
would fix all the problems listed up there...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/