[Mailman-Developers] Mailman keying on Sender: Field

Roberto Ullfig rullfig@uchicago.edu
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:15:55 -0600

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     RU> I noticed that Mailman keys on the Sender: field when you
>     RU> email in a subscription request. Is this really necessary? Is
>     RU> it possible to reconfigure Mailman to key on the From: field
>     RU> instead? Is this more or less desirable? Since confirmations
>     RU> are always in place it seems to me that there's enough
>     RU> protection as it is without using the Sender: field.
>
> In Mailman 2.0 (currently at beta 1), this has been made much more
> consistent.  There's a configuration variable called
> USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER which controls this; the default is now to use
> From: followed by Sender: then the envelope sender.

That sounds good. I have a related question that perhaps someone
on this list can answer. Can the Sender: field be changed by
sendmail configuration? For instance would masquerading ever
effect this field or is changing the Sender: field verboten?

--
Roberto Ullfig : rullfig@uchicago.edu
Systems Administrator