[Mailman-Developers] Betas coming soon

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:55:23 -0500 (EST)

    RK> I'm using the CVS version already in production so I won't
    RK> have trouble switching to the beta...

You too?  Me too! :)

    RK> I've seen software packages solving this by needing to enter a
    RK> "magic" key with the make command before being able to do the
    RK> install... and the key could be found in the install docs...
    RK> You could also specifically ask the user if he/she read the
    RK> UPGRADING file with a y/n prompt before proceeding with the
    RK> actual install.  Also, what about including a backup procedure
    RK> with the install, so you can revert the install with 'make
    RK> install restore-original'...?  BUT all this seems a lot of
    RK> work, just for being helpful to lazy people who take the risk
    RK> of not reading the upgrade docs :) I think a y/n prompt could
    RK> be enough... if the user then decides to ignore the BIG FLASHY
    RK> WARNING TO READ THE UPGRADING FILE then so be it...

I was thinking about playing games with make dependencies, but ya, it
seems like a lot of boring work :)  Hmm, I'll see how motivated I get
before the 2.0 final.

    Me> Watch for the final round of checkins some time (hopefully)
    Me> this week.

    RK> could you let us know on this list when this has been done?
    RK> then I can do a CVS update of my version... and then see how
    RK> much of my own hacks i have to put back in.

You're lucky I'm feeling insomniatic tonight.  I've finished the
checkins and will spin the tarball from the current CVS snapshot when
I get a bit of free time.

    RK> I'm looking forward to bug squatting the betas... :)

Me too (I think :)

    RK> Thanks for doing a great job, Barry!

You're very welcome!

-Barry