[Mailman-Developers] Betas coming soon

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:15:54 -0500 (EST)

    EL> Well, I just read the Emails on the new beta version.  I hate
    EL> to ask it, but was there a timetable on when we might expect
    EL> it to be fully released?  Just wondering cuz I just sent an
    EL> Email out to my users that I'm installing 1.1 tomorrow and I'm
    EL> not sure if I should just wait for 2.0.  Will the upgrade path
    EL> be difficult?

Sorry, I can't give a time frame for 2.0 final, but I don't suspect
the beta cycle will be longer than a couple of weeks at most.  There
are already several of us using the current snapshot in production
environments.

As for upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0, I think it will be fairly
straightforward, but that's one of the things I'd really like the
mm-devers to exercise.  My biggest concern is what happens to messages
in Mailman 1.1's mail queue.  You really need to have this cleared out
before you upgrade.

I should mention that on python.org, I didn't do an overlaying upgrade
because I started using the new code base before I had all the proper
update code in place.  You can always create a new installation in a
different directory, but moving lists from one directory to another,
while possible, is time-consuming and a pain.

    EL> No pressure whatsoever! ;)

Sure, sure, that's what they /all/ say! :)

-Barry