[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Extremely High Membership lists

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@West.Sun.COM> wrote:

> > I also have significant problems with the new moderation interface
> > which has removed significant functionality by showing only an
> > excerpted/truncated version of the held message in a TEXTAREA rather
> > than the entire message.  The old format of showing the entire
> > message allowed me as list moderator:
> >
> >   a) To know exactly what I was approving, and thus not miss
> >   something untoward toward the end of a message.
>
> Yes, I miss this too.  I wish the textareas had the entire message
> in it, so that they have both wonderful attributes of 1) not taking
> up page after page of browser area, but 2) having the whole
> daggone message (or at least the first N kB, where N is configurable).

While i think the configurable N has a place, i think there's a better
way to address what i see as the underlying issue.

On the one hand, hugh (the typical list manager) sometimes wants to
preview the entire contents of an arbitrarily large message.  On the
other hand, hugh often doesn't - a preview is sufficient, and on rare
occassions numerous gargantuan holds would make for a painfully huge
admindb page (though to bulk is hidden in the textareas, it still has
to be transmitted, and the browser still has to bloat to hold it).

What i would prefer is to keep the configurable-N-Kb textarea, and add
a link that goes to a page that exhibits the entire held message.
This should be not hard to implement, afford the desired discretion,
and avoid the unnecessary bulk...

Ken
klm@digicool.com