[Mailman-Developers] CVS: mailman/Mailman ListAdmin.py,1.33,1.34

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:38:23 -0400 (EDT)

    RK> I've installed the patch and approved about 15 posts (had to
    RK> discard a lot of crap ;() and qrunner is doing the postings
    RK> now... it seems to work ok so far...  but I do notice that
    RK> when I go to the admin URL while qrunner is doing it's job, it
    RK> takes more than a minute before the page is displayed... does
    RK> this have something to do with locking or it's because my
    RK> server has a load average of 3+ (which isn't very uncommon
    RK> considering the hardware performance though)

Maybe a bit of both.  qrunner is careful to keep the lock only long
enough to deliver a single message.  If there are multiple messages
destined for the same list, it will release and acquire the lock in
between each delivery.  Still, for large lists, this can take a while.

One of the things to eventually do is audit the cgi scripts so that
they're locking the list only during those operations that require
it.  I.e. a listinfo probably doesn't need the lock, and setting user
options probably only needs the lock for a very short amount of time.

Won't all this just work better with a real transaction based db
underneath?  ;)

-Barry