[Mailman-Developers] lowercase listnames?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:53:55 -0700

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
Darrell Fuhriman <darrell@grumblesmurf.net> wrote:

> Though god knows why anyone would *want* a case-sensitive anything
> in an e-mail address.  gun, foot and all that.  *shudder*

Humans tend to like mixed case.  Computers tend to like case
insenstive.

Mailman currently hits a fairly happy middle ground.  Eveyrthing
having to do with an email address is processed lower case.
Including list names.  Everything that might be processed by a
human, such as list messages, and member's addresses, are stored
case-preserved.

What's this mean?  You can go into the web form and change the case
on your list.  From them on all list messages and web pages that
refer to the list by name (as versus by address) will use the mixed
case name.  BUT, everything that refers to the list by email address
will be in all lower case.

I see this as a good middle groud.  Nothing breaks, nothing gets
hurt, there are no problems with name conflicts between lists of
varying case, and no silly users get the weird ide that it might be
fun to mess with case in email addresses (that don't already have
that weird idea).

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu