[Mailman-Developers] lowercase listnames?

Darrell Fuhriman darrell@grumblesmurf.net
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> No, it allows the local part to be "case preserved" (and it specifically

Of course, that never stopped a certain not-Mailman listserver, I mean
list manager, with a VMS heritage from upppercasing everything.  :)

> notes that postmaster is one address that has to be handled case
> insenstively).  See 3.4.7.  In practice, many (nearly all) MTAs/MDAs treat
> all local parts case insensitively.

True enough, if only because DNS *is* case insensitive.  Case sensitivty
would only affect (ultimately) the poor folks that don't get to use DNS.
:)

In that regard, at least, the world is a much simpler place than it was
when RFC-822 was written.  :)

Though god knows why anyone would *want* a case-sensitive anything in an
e-mail address.  gun, foot and all that.  *shudder*

Darrell