[Mailman-Developers] Templates and i18n

Harald Wellmann Harald.Wellmann@itellium.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:34:52 +0200

Maybe I'm off topic here, but I never had any feedback whatsoever
when I posted the following to mailman-i18n, and in fact
that list appears to be dormant if not dead ;-)

I'm trying to get an idea how much effort it would be to
modify the current mailman distribution for a German-speaking
user community.

From the list archives, I don't get a clear idea of the current
status of mailman i18n, and of course I'd like to avoid work
that's already been done...

* Could somebody please explain the role of the global and per-list
  template files?

  As far as I can see, the *.html templates per list simply get
  initialized from the global templates in PREFIX/templates
  and can be edited via the web interface.

  So if I translated all global template files before creating any
  lists on my site, I would end up with a more-or-less localized
  user interface, except for some English messages that are hard-coded
  in the sources -- am I right???

* Any German-speaking users out there who have already translated some
  templates they would like to share?

* What's the status of the i18n project in mailman?
  Are there any intermediate results?
  Maybe there is an i18n branch in the CVS repository?

Regards,
--
Harald Wellmann