[Mailman-Developers] chunkify suggestion, with patch.

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:52:36 -0400 (EDT)

    DF> Here's a new patch for SMTPDirect.py.  Who decides what get
    DF> included in the release, BTW?

Me! :)

I don't think there's time to get this into 2.0 final.  I'd like to
get more feedback from people on whether this works and is a good
idea.  My own intuition says that Mailman should do as little work as
possible here.  I think a good MTA can always do a better job than
Mailman at deciding the best delivery strategy.  Ideally, you'd pass
the whole recip list off to the MTA in one huge chunk.

I'm less inclined to coddle inefficient MTAs.  Still, this may be a
good idea if it's properly configurable.

My suggestion at this point would be to upload the patch to
SourceForge for future consideration, and so that others can play with
it.

-Barry