[Mailman-Developers] Subject prefix bug

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:19:39 -0700

I've been running into this fairly heavily.  Outlook has a tendency
to MIME wrap subject headers uselessly.  Thus a header such as:

  Re: [MUD-Dev] Fantasy clichés (was: Acting casual about casual gamers)

Becomes later:

  [MUD-Dev] =?iso-8859-1?Q?RE:_=5BMUD-Dev=5D_Fantasy_clich=E9s?=

Which shows two things:

  1) Mailman didn't decode the MIME header wrapping and detect the
subject prefix that was already there.

  2) Outlook (the offending MUA in this case (no suprises there))
needs to be taken out back and gut shot.

We can fix the first thing.  I have no faith in the second thing
ever being fixed.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu