[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Zope Integration Product

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:55:09 -0500

Johan Carlsson [johanc@torped.se] wrote:
> > We (Digital Creations) have a potential project that would modify Mailman
> > to be able to run wih SQL storage of its information (primarily members
> > and subscription information), which would then be managed through Zope.
>
> (Hi Chris,)
> That's sound like a great idé!
> I suppost it would be integrated with the Portal Toolkit
> membership management as well?

The idea is that you would retreive Zope membership and Mailman membership
from a single relational storage.  This is especially important with really
large sites. So yes it would be integrated.

> > ZCatalog integration wouldn't be too hard, honestly.
> Probably not :-)

You could probably us ZClient to bang each message in as it shows up, and
instantiate a ZClass.  WE've index 18,500 messages in ZCatalog on just
a regular desktop Linux box (nothing fancy, mayb 128Mb RAM, though I think
64MB), and retreival time is on the order of 1/10th - 1/4 second for most
searches.  Now the actual indexing was much more expensive, but done
one at a time, it shouldn't be a major issue.

Note that what we're talking about wouldn't be for managing list options,
just  for membership.

Chris