[Mailman-Developers] TODO: Search engine for archives

Dan Ohnesorg dan@feld.cvut.cz
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:28:58 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Stu Ekins wrote:

> Perhaps it would be useful to have a mailman standard search, and then leave
> hooks in to allow integration with external search tools, should people
> require that. Personally, I'd like to see the index updated at the same time
> as the pipermail archives are, and it makes sense to have an indexing
> package that "understands" mailman, even if its an external module.

NO... update index on every message is very BAD think, it will kill every
heavily loaded listserv definitly. There is no posibility to update sorted
index fast enought. I have sometimes problems on peeks only with opening
all the files which are included in mailman, even if they are cached.

cheers
dan

DDDDDD
DD   DD                Dan Ohnesorg, supervisor on POWER
DD  OOOO               Dan@feld.cvut.cz
DD OODDOO              Dep. of Power Engineering
DDDDDD OO              CTU FEL Prague, Bohemia
   OO  OO              work: +420 2 24352785;+420 2 24972109
    OOOO               home: +420 311 679679;+420 311 679311

Na svete jsou dva prostredky,
Jak se povznest:
   bud vlastnimi schopnostmi,
   anebo hlouposti jinych.