[Mailman-Developers] mail/news gateway

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:39:46 +0100

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 10:20:38AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> GM> But it happened quite often that mailman couldn't connect to
> GM> port 25 because sendmail wasn't accepting connections due to
> GM> high load (loads above 25 are usual on this machine...), so
> GM> queueing was needed anyway...
> > One possible solution is to use a better MTA (i.e. not sendmail).
> > Also, it's very possible that all that extra load was /caused/ by
> > Mailman 1.1's queuing system.
> I potentially have the same problem -- the system occassionally gets
> very high load spikes, NOT due to MailMan, and Exim is configured to
> refuse connections when load gets too high.

I got loads of up to 60 when i used exim with Mailman 1.1 ... and
then slowly the system started to die ... this was happening when sending
about 20 approved posts to 1500+ users. I configured exim not to send
out anything when getting a higher load than 5, but then my fcgi scripts
would die anyway during posting approvals...
Since i'm using postfix with MM 1.2, loads don't get any higher than
2 or 3. So i'm very happy with the changes in 1.2 :)

Ricardo.